Poppot Leaderboard

Soy Poisoning Happening in Florida Prisons, Too

Wild Fire Sun

Creative Commons License photo credit: aresauburn™

This is a letter to Sally Fallon Morell, President of the Weston A. Price Foundation, in response to the prison soy lawsuit being funded by the Foundation in the state of Illinois.

Letter from an Inmate in a Florida Prison

Dear Mrs. Sally,
I am writing for a few reasons, first off, I love what you are doing for us and I am glad someone is standing up for the wrong treatment many of us have to go through being incarcerated. I see that right now you are working on those who are in Illinois and I’ve seen what was wrote about the limitations of food in Georgia and another state. However, Mrs. Sally I hope that somehow you can also let people know what is going on in Florida and possibly offer us some help.

After reading about what other states are going through it seems funny to me that Florida has not even been mentioned because it looks like we are getting it worse. Yes, they have also replaced most of our meals with texturized vegetable protein (TVP is soy), no fish, liver and no fruit at all. They don’t give us milk at all, they replaced it with a form of powder milk which some people say is soy yet others say its creamer. Why would we be getting creamer in place of milk? Portion size also seems to be an issue.

Some of the other changes they have made are to cut back on our showers, give us razors that barely work and double or triple canteen prices.

This is my response to the un-informed opinions of some of the web page members, uninformed people who have said how well or easy we have it in here. They speak on what they don’t know and someone should inform them. So with all due respect I would like to be responsible for that.

Okay, first off I am in prison and I agree with “no work, no eat.” However, in prison everyone is assigned a job so we do ‘all’ work. Some of us work in the kitchen preparing meals, some mow the grass, and other grounds labor, some do the laundry. We all work. Also, we had a garden, they tore it up. So who do we blame for that?

Yes, we are being punished, do you want to poison us as well? We are not sentenced to cruel and unusual punishment. So you don’t think we should be able to hire lawyers to represent us if we are being treated unfairly or fed soy 100% that will affect us even as we re-enter society? Apparently you’ve never had a family member or loved one in here. God bless you for that. Your family suffers along with you and that alone is punishment enough, okay? For those of us who have hearts it hurts us. We care.

Everybody in here is not all monsters, maniacs, or rapists. So why fix your mouth to say we should all be treated like we don’t matter, we have no right to be treated fairly? We are punished everyday. We don’t have it as well as some of you may like to believe. Do you know what it feels like to be told when you can eat and then they offer soy products which affects all avenues of health, to be able to only take cold showers after the hour of 5pm until 10 pm, no air conditioning, no heat, when forced to go outside in freezing temperatures, loss of all assets, family, children.

Are you in a building with 70 others of your own sex with no privacy even in the showers or stalls, are you subject to being yelled at continually by officers and told not to talk, to sit on your bunk for hours a day. At half hour intervals while not being able to talk?

The food is unseasoned and we are given at most 5 minutes to wolf down our tray. We don’t watch T.V. All day when we can after 5, its either too loud (the room) to hear or they shut if off in the middle of a program. We don’t choose what we watch either. They do. We have no control over what goes on around here. Some get robbed for the few extra items they may have in the small box we have to live out of. We each get a box (approx. 26” by 18”) to put our books or magazines in, our state issued clothes, letters, maybe a radio if we are lucky.

Among other issues, are we not punished enough? But you say “don’t help prisoners treated unfairly who are slowly being poisoned.” What about the 18 year old who was sentenced to time for possession of marijuana because of an addiction, should he be treated unfairly along with the rest of us? (Because he is). Should we go home to our wives and children sick? Some people made mistakes at a low point in their life with no help, hope or direction.

So cruel treatment is the answer, huh?

“It is better to live homeless on the streets than in here where they take everything away from you, even your dignity and any hope to make a life for yourself or loved ones.” Have you ever heard a child cry for their father or mother to come home? We’re not eating better. It’s either starve or eat toxins.

Honestly, I’d rather be picking out of garbage cans. I’m not just talking. I’ve been in that situation before and it beats this. We had real food, they took it away! We’re not being picky. We’re caring for our health. We would just like back what we had, nothing more! Tell the state governor – here to give us gardens/farming, creative ways to save money while giving inmates new skills. Here in Florida, they are just taking it all away claiming lack of funds to upkeep. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
James Clark

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...Paid Endorsement Disclosure: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of renumeration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.

Comments

1. Kimberly Hartke says:

This link was sent to me today by a food activist in another part of the country, regarding prison riots in Kentucky over poor quality food:

Poor quality rations destroys health, and is potentially destructive of prison property and the safety of the guards.

Kimberly

2. So very sad and wrong. Of course, if those in charge believe soy does not harm the body what can be done? Education!!!

3. Kimberly Hartke says:

Here’s some education for them, male monkeys on high soy diet have increased agression, anti social behavior. http://ow.ly/xNrw

4. Kimberly Hartke says:

Same results found in hamsters: http://www.crimetimes.org/04d/w04dp7.htm

5. Stanley Fishman says:

Does it make any sense at all to feed prisoners a diet that will make them more agressive and violent?

Does it make any sense to feed prisoners a diet that will make them sick?

It has been shown, time and time again, that the best way to rehabilitate prisoners is to have them grow and prepare their own food. The very act of engaging in farming activities not only has a calming effecy on prisoners, but gives them a sense of accomplishment and improves their health, both mentally and physically, by giving them a better diet. Prisoners who have had a part in farming activities are far less likely to return to prison.

This is far less expensive than purchasing large amounts of processed soy toxins, and paying to treat the medical problems caused by those toxins.

6. The phytoestrogens in soybeans are well known to feminize men, but, sadly, this doesn’t make them “kinder and gentler.” Indeed the evidence is mounting that soy contributes to aggression, irritability and behavioral problems, including violence. Phytoestrogens aren’t the only culprit. Infants on soy formula receive 50 to 80 times the manganese found in breast milk or dairy formula. This poses the biggest risk during the first six months of life when the baby’s liver, brain and neurological system are developing and he or she cannot eliminate toxic levels of manganese. This can lead to ADD/ADHD, violent behavior and even eventual prison sentences. A few years back I testified with leading scientists from the U of California at Irvine and others before the California Public Safety Committee, which was considering making soy infant formula illegal except by prescription. The idea was to eventually save the California penal system $10 million a year. That hasn’t happened yet, and these days it looks like soy is feeding the prison system in more ways than one.

7. What a tragic situation. We are hoping that if we win our lawsuit in Illinois, that the various inmates will have grounds to sue for damages.

Meanwhile, you and the other inmates should eat the hot dogs, chicken and turkey. From the commissary the best foods are spam and sardines–as much of these as possible will keep him fairly healthy. Also cheese, summer sausage, plain rice, pork cracklings, from the commissary. Stay off the sodas and sugars as these make one more vulnerable to the effects of soy.

8. This makes me very sad. At the same time, I’m immensely grateful to the Weston A. Price Foundation for doing the work they are doing to fight the soy prison diet in Illinois. I’m also grateful to everyone who is a member of the WAPF. Please support this organization and help them continue to do the work they are doing.

.-= Ann Marie @ CHEESESLAVE´s last blog ..Giveaway: Win a One Year Subscription to the CHEESESLAVE Menu Mailer – $85 Value! =-.

9. To whom it may concern:

I have recently learned of the letter that was sent to President Obama concerning the soy diet that is being served in Illinois state prison. Along with that , I read a letter from an inmate in Florida concerning the diets here also. It seems to be standard procedure in most facilities now. I agree with him , they should be growing their own gardens, raising chickens, beef and pig to supplement their diets and offset the cost of the state.

Am wondering if you received any response from the White House or if any changes have been made in Illinois.

I have a loved one that resides in one of Florida institutions.. He also has been complaining of the diet change. Says it has been bad for some time now , but all of a sudden it has gotten worse. Powered eggs, powered milk, no real meat, no fruit, no juice, everything is processed. Some of the “food” is not even edible, so he doesn’t eat, cant even tell what it is.

Could you please send me more information concerning this issue of soy diets? I would like to submit it to our Governor here in Florida.

10. I too have a very young loved one inside and about to go to Central Intake. I already heard he has had terrible food in the jail and very little food. He too says he can’t tell what the food is. Does anyone know where the best prisons are for him to try to ask for? I am so concerned. I am a very loving, caring, Godly person and my health has started failing from this. We need to inform the ignorant that they aren’t all monsters in prison and just need rehabilitation. There is no reason to treat them inhumanley or without compassion. They found in the studies done on educating them while in prison so they could get a job after was less costly than building new prisons. Wake up America and don’t stay ignorant. I also agree with doing their own farming. It too is very rehabilitating and isn’t that what we want not reoffeners? I actually had a prison work release man call me at work and I did everything I possibly could for him to find phone numbers to call to find work. So please keep blogging and writing to the President, and everyone in Congress. Don’t ever give up and if someone could please respond to my question, I’d greatly appreciate it. thanks

11. nancy raynor says:

iam looking for familys in fl that has someone in the prison.and if your are working on geting the soy out of prisons i would like to help…nancy

12. Ray Waites says:

I have a stepson in a Florida Correctional institution and am very interested in doing something to get this soy problem eliminated. After geting his complaints in the mail I looked up a web site he supplied on Illinois prisons, then checked out Florida prisons. Please clue me in on how I can help. Ray Waites

13. Kimberly Hartke says:

Everyone–Here is the link with more information and a sample letter to send:

14. rebecca gordon says:

i have a brother in fla. prison. he has written to me about the food in fla. prison. if anyone is doing anything to help those men. then please let me know how i can help. thank you.

Trackbacks

1. […] One Florida inmate wrote an impassioned guest blog for Hartkeisonline.com, Soy Poisoning is Happening in Florida, Too. […]