Do you know someone who needs help with recovering from illness or injury?
Email this Broth Recipe to Prospective Recruits!
This is a Letter Sent by Amy Powers to 10 friends, asking for their help for the Berry Children. Each volunteered for a specific day of the week and thus took turns taking soup to the hospital.
Hi girls. I have a concrete and very useful and meaningful task that, if you would like to help, I think could truly help heal these kids bones and bodies.
I spoke to Simone’s sister Jody in San Fran today and she had an amazing suggestion. Simone and Jody are true believers in nutrition as medicine. Simone and her family live on broth. She calls it God’s Medicine. While it has many wonderful benefits such as healing the nerves, repairing and calming the digestive system and relaxing and giving the body strength, the biggest benefit is that chicken broth is made from bones and so it HEALS BONES- and that is what these 3 kids need immediately.
So, I was thinking that if you could follow this simple recipe (all ingredients must be organic) and you can even freeze the broth, that I could run hot carafes of fresh broth to Simone’s family to get to her and the kids. Thay need all the healing, physical and spiritual, that they can get, and maybe this little dose of Jewish penicillin might help!
ALL ORGANIC CHICKEN AND VEGES
* Get 2 to 3 lbs of organic bony chicken parts such as backs, necks, breastbones, wings, drumsticks
* Add 1 onion, garlic, 2 carrots and 3 celery sticks, salt and pepper, and water
* Add tsp of vinegar (to break down bones)
* bring to boil and remove scum that rises to top
* Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 6 to 24 hours (longer = richer)
* Can add 1 bunch parsley 10 min before done
* If necessary, can always add water
* Strain the stock and put in containers. It can be in fridge or freezer.
* You can strain into a bowl and refrigerate until fat rises to the top and congeals, then skim off the fat and reserve the stock.
The kids and caretakers can sip this healing remedy like a cup of tea to heal their bodies and give them strength!
Who knows, maybe we should all be sipping this magic.
Thanks and much love, Amy
Amy is a wife to Jason, Certified Nurse Midwife and currently a full time mom to three children, ages 9, 6, 1.
This post is part of the Real Food Wednesday blog carnival, find more nourishing real food recipes on Kellythekitchenkop.com.
See Today’s Related Story: Broth Brigade Helps Houston Family Through Crisis